The Weekend Post



Sweet Pea and Me

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

The above quote is taken from the movie fight club. It's a favorite movie of my brother's and mine, and seems to fit more and more in our current predicament than ever-at least it does to me.

Unless something drastic happens that I need to get up on here right away I'm' going to fit all of Friday Saturday and Sunday into one long post. The weekends are usually less action packed for me and I don't feel like doing much of anything (with the exception of Friday)

Friday:
Just a typical Friday at school. I had to skip string tech to finish my Theory project but I got everything done and it was as right as possible.

Spent another wonderful afternoon/evening with the lovely. We had dinner with her parents and had some good conversation and a delicious sausage dish. Then off to the woodfield for fries, a walk, some shopping, and lots of holding hands and kisses :) Then back to the house for cuddling and falling asleep on the comfy couch :D

Friday night once I got home and was in my own bed and once again unconscious I had the strangest dream I've had in a long time. Strange enough to make me uncomfortable all of Saturday and even some on Sunday. The most vivid images that are still sitting in the front of my head are for some reason all of my teeth where falling out, only instead of it happening tooth by tooth they came in groups of three along with the gums. Or they came in slivers and parts of teeth still attached to the top of my gums. Section by section I pulled out most of the teeth in my mouth and the sadness that came over me when I looked in a mirror and smiled was sickening. I kept thinking, in the dream that is, that Jess would never want me to smile again and that I would never want to smile at all ever again. Now I don't know if that is my subconscious telling me to go to the dentist to get a cleaning that is well overdue or what it is but man it was freaky and gross :(

Saturday just work and home to work on my fish tanks. Saturday was the first day I've walked to work since basically November. I started here at Prairie Shore in September after working for a long year at Walgreen's. This place kicks ass, and even though I've made some mistakes along the way this job is easy and pays well. Everyone is super nice here as well, and I pretty much can do what I want when no one is around.

Both the frog tank and the fish tank are clean and the inhabitants are happy :) I bought a sludge extractor from petsmart which does wonders in both tanks helping get poop and algae up and out of the gravel without having to dump all the water out of the tank and rinse the gravel by hand. It is less disturbing to the fish as well, because they stay in the tank the whole time, not to mention it keeps the natural bacteria in the gravel and the tank which keeps the cycle efficient. Best 50 bucks I've ever spent on my hobby, and it's pretty cool and fun to use too :) I bought it in the store but here is the link for what you're looking for if you decide to buy one. I haven't tried any others just simply because I feel there is no reason to.

Sunday has been pretty un-eventful so far, just got done eating lunch and there isn't a whole lot to do around here. I suppose I should start working on my transcription that is due Tuesday but it's hard to do those without a piano. Tomorrow needs to kick ass all across the board. After band I need to get some recording done, well a lot of recording. I need to practice, try to get in to West Hall, dinner with the lovely and more things I'm probably forgetting (lol) It'll all get done though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the way to work Saturday as I was walking down Leavitt I heard this amazing noise above my head. It was a bird, I'm not sure of the species, pecking and chasing a squirrel out of it's home and not letting up. The squirrel ran down a power line, being pecked by the bird and jumped on to the roof of a garage. In proportions, the squirrel was easily 4 times bigger than this bird, although the ability to fly gave the bird a clear advantage. Now the significance of this is there are so many times where I feel like I'm that bird trying to keep other people from stealing me or trying to destroy things I've been working so hard to keep together and survive. I'm sure we've all had these moments where we filled the role of the bird and someone or something else filled the role of the squirrel. It kinda made me feel like even though there is a few things going on right now that seem like they are 4 times bigger than I am, as long as I keep fighting and pushing forward those squirrels don't stand a chance.

Another thought I've had over the past couple of days is about fuel and driving and just general energy consumption. It bothers me that more isn't being done about the energy crisis happening right now, but what is being done is a start and a definite step in the right direction. Now we all need to take more than a step or two steps but an entire walk in this same direction. In 2008, why are we still so dependent on fossil fuels? Because of greed, laziness, and any other excuse that you can throw on here. It's past time to start changing things. Now I'm guilty as charged just as much as the next guy, but in my defense I'm concious of the things I throw away, how much I'm driving, the water I use, the electricity I use and thensome. Something I wish everyone would start doing. Don't throw the glass bottle you bought just in to the trash, put it in the bin that is right next to the trash can. If there isn't a recycle bin around, then walk it down the two flights of stairs and PUT IT IN ONE. The same goes for plastics and Styrofoams and paper. There should be more recycle recepticals in place for sure, but I know for a fact that Elmhurst College has plenty of them around and it doesn't take much to put your recyclable into bin B instead of bin A. Batteries too, when batteries decay it's nasty-find your local spot to recycle those batteries and DO IT. Be conscious of how much you are driving, can you walk to where you need to go? Anything under 3 miles should be a no brainer, "yes I can walk that" of course there are exceptions to that such as weather and things but if you have the opportunity use it. You get exercise in along with helping reduce emissions.

TURN THE LIGHTS OFF. Especially in rooms you are leaving, like PRACTICE ROOMS. Come ON MUSIC MAJORS! During the day, especially at high noon there's no reason to turn lights on in rooms that have big windows in the first place. Use the natural light it's better for your eyes anyway. Unplug things you don't use, like computers and other electronics-or make sure they are plugged in to a switched surge bar-they are out there and not expensive at all GET ONE or two or three.

No one is perfect and I know that, God knows I'm not. But seriously, start using those brains otherwise by the time we are all thirty there isn't going to be much planet left to dwell on...........

0 comments

Post a Comment

 
|  Music for Life. Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz Powered by Blogger