So Much Snow


The first week of J-Term has come and gone, and I have to admit that it went by pretty quickly. Percussion Tech is an awesome class, and not only is it a blast bang on drums for 3 hours 4 days a week, I'm learning a lot about the musicianship behind good drumming. I have to admit that I've always considered percussionists to have the more or less easy job of an ensemble. I could always recognize that certain skills were needed in order to play percussion, but I always figured if one had a good internal beat and could time things properly percussion playing was easy. I was wrong. Dead wrong. The minute things you have to pay attention to just playing a practice pad with your sticks is unbelievable at times, especially when trying to pull a continuous drum roll off. One week in and I have a new found respect and interest for percussion playing-I can't wait to see what the rest of J-Term brings.

One of my favorite places to eat has closed their doors for good. La Bahia was a restaurant literally right next door to the office I work in and on December 28th they closed. I just found out about this today holding off my lunch until 2 when they were supposed to open for Saturday business. This is a sad day for sure, their food was incredibly delicious. :(

One more week and still no word from any of my doctors, which is causing me to have shaky faith at the moment. On the one hand I feel like they are holding out on me because the news is so bad they don't want to break it to me. On the other hand there's still that little part of me that feels like they know what's going on and it's not that big a deal so they're putting off calling me. Either way I just want some answers, please. I'm starting to go stir crazy not knowing what exactly is going on with my liver and the rest of me, the prednisone is becoming tiresome to say the least, and my crohns is starting to flare up for the first time in 2 months. I am so sick of my body, as I'm sure the rest of us with chronic illness or any illness are at some point. I'm amazed the human race has survived this long just based on the fact the human body is so flawed and so inefficient. Let's exclude the needless wars, massacres, genocides, crusades and all other forms of self annihilation we've undertaken over the centuries. Focusing in on just the human body itself I have to wonder how it even functions at all. If you think about it everything, absolutely every, at some point passes through your digestive tract. The place where you absorb nutrients to fuel the rest of your body. Your sinuses are allowed to fill up with snot to the point they become impacted. Cancer forms in places and people that should never even have to think about it. The muscles in your body are not all made out of smooth tissue causing them to wear out incredibly quickly. Why not make all of our muscles out of smooth tissue, or partly smooth tissue? We only use what 10% of our total brain? Seriously? I just don't see how something so flawed and so poorly designed can function at all.

I apologize for all the negativity today but in my defense I am freaking out. Why have they not called? Why? You'd think the thousands of dollars they get for seeing me even once would make them care just a little bit more....oh wait. I just want it all to be over already. I want to know what I'm dealing with so I CAN deal with it. I don't think it's too much to ask. Have I called them? No, I haven't. Every time I've decided to something else has come up and my mind has strayed from it. So yes, some of this is my fault and I should be more proactive about it. But at the same time I'm paying THEM and I think they should care just a little bit more.

On the brighter side of things, yesterday was a great day. Jess and I cooked chicken fajitas and made guacamole and salsa from scratch. It turned out to be a pretty decent meal with plenty of salsa and guac left over. We played some Scrabble and talked and just enjoyed each other's company like we often do on a Friday night. She seriously is one in a million, my rock, my source of reason and strength. Talking about our future both individual and ours together gave me feelings of excitement. She's found a place that is looking for an apprentice like person to work with in an archive, which is exactly what she wants to be doing later on down the road. I am so excited both for her and for myself thinking that in a very short amount of time I'll finally be out on my own and teaching-doing what I love 5 days a week.

As I sit here waiting for my lunch to be delivered and an answer on if I get an extra 8 hours pay this coming week, I can't help but think about my Dad. Working at O'Hare he often gets asked to stay for overtime digging signs out of the snow on the taxiways. I worry about him every time he's on the airfield, taxiway or not. Hell I worry about him every time he's out there regardless. Even though currently he's in the terminal working, operating a lift and getting in and out of tight spaces can be just as dangerous as any place else, and 16 hours of work most of which is in the cold and never ending snow has gotta suck big time. Sure over time is always great and appreciated but still, it's gotta suck. This time though he won't have to drive anyone home in the blizzard-which was my bad last time.

end of line.

0 comments

Post a Comment

 
|  Music for Life. Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz Powered by Blogger