SO HERE'S MY LIFE


This morning's appointment was both productive and discouraging. I most likely have a condition called Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis or PSC. PSC is a disease that goes hand in hand with my auto immune disorder and more specifically my Crohns and colitis. There is no known cause or cure for this condition. To sum up all the medical jargon: the bile ducts leading away from my liver are inflamed. They are inflamed because my immune system is attacking them for no reason whatsoever. The bile ducts will scar further which will cause my liver to gradually get more sick over time. This will eventually lead to complete liver failure. The doctor I saw today, who was awesome, gave me 10 years before I need to have a liver transplant. Not the greatest evalutation-especially at the age of 20. The good news is the survival rate with this condition is very high, and my doctor seemed very confident that I'm going to be okay. He layed out some tests that I need to under go within the next couple of weeks, and had a very positive outlook on my overall treatment. However, this is all a preliminary diagnosis at this point; there was a problem getting my records to his office. He is going to lock everything down and give me an over the phone evaluation within a week or two and we will go from there. I am going to continue fighting, I've made it this far and there is no reason I should give up now.

I have to admit keeping a positive attitude about all of this is very hard, but I'm trying to be a good boy. My Jessie was simply amazing today like she always is. I hate leaning on her so much, but my moments of weakness are almost impossible to avoid right now. I'm working on it though, very hard.

I DON'T HAVE TIME TO BE SICK! I'M A MUSIC EDUCATION MAJOR!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well. I am so very happy to find your blog and to know you are putting words to your thoughts and experiences and putting those words on to the screen and then putting it all out there into the interwebs.

Know that there are many of us with you in spirit. Your strength is palpable. This isn't easy and you've been through enough tough stuff before. But good Lord, you've got it in you to not just survive but to really thrive. And that, kid, is pretty fucking amazing.

Jessica Ashley (Sassafrass)|mommy blogging, but with better shoes | http://www.sassafrass.typepad.com

revavena said...

Andrew - wow! Didn't know -- so sorry to hear you're going through this. But know that I'm here if you need anything -- talk, support, anything.

Post a Comment

 
|  Music for Life. Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz Powered by Blogger